Skip to main content

Oh no! The dreaded flu!


If you get the flu, odds are you will survive.  About 1000-3000 die annually out of over 300 million patients so you will likely be fine.  If you have fragile health or getting worse instead of better, then you should seek care.  Otherwise stay home and do some self care.  Here are the tips I would do  (and have done the one time we had it) for my family.

First of all, there is no need for Tamiflu.  Studies show it may shorten the flu by 3/4 of a day.  It isn't worth the risk of psychiatric side effects for such little benefit.  Several studies show no benefit at all.  So here are several things you can do.  I recommend to get these items before flu season just in case so you don't have to go out sick and share it with everyone.  See my flu prevention blog to try to ward it off.

Elderberry syrup is a great anti viral.  Email sweetsyrup@gmail.com or call 704-98902156 for some organic, locally made elderberry syrup by one of our best, Stephanie Rickenbaker.  They have some lower glycemic versions for diabetics and safe versions for infants as well.  Take that frequently through the day starting at the onset.  It is food so I can't imagine overdosing on this.

Homeopathic aconitum, oscillococcinum/ Influenzinum (buy both aconitum and one of the other two).  At onset of fever and body aches, start one or both of these taking 3 pellets every 15 minutes for two hours and then as needed.  Safe for babies even.

Take a vitamin burst-.  Vitamin A -adults -15,000-25,000 IU three times a day for 2 days, kids under twelve twice a day for up to two maybe three days max, Infants can have up to two doses daily for max two days.  Vitamin D adults 100,000 IU daily (get the liquid higher dose kind) for up to 5 days, kids under 12 up to 10,000 IU daily for 5 days unless you have a parathyroid problem or super high calcium issue. Then vitamin C -adults 1000 mg 4-5 times per day,  kids under 12- 1000 mg 3-4 times per day, kids 1-5 500 mg 3-4 times per day, infants- buffered vitamin C pinch in each cheek every 1-2 hours.  Stop the vitamin C if there is stomach cramping or diarrhea as that is the sign of having more than enough.

Then look at my cold handout on managing the other symptoms but in general, do hot epsom salt baths with apple cider vinegar baths, simply saline, and the wet sock trick.

May you have a quick recovery. Legal disclaimer : If you develop shortness of breath or any scary purple rashes or mental status changes, get help ASAP!.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why This Doctor Doesn't Get Her Flu Shot!

Why Smart Doctors Don’t Get Flu Shots Smart doctors don’t get flu shots. Smart patients don’t either. Does that mean you’re not smart if you got a flu shot? No. It means the pharmaceutical industry has you and your wallet right where they want you. It means you believed the hype instead of looking at the science. Smart doctors don’t get flu shots. But I’m a doctor and not only did I get them, I insisted my mom and my siblings get their flu shot too. Once you hear my story, you will see that I can’t judge anyone who gets a flu vaccine. But I do judge an industry that tries to terrify and deceive people into getting a flu vaccine they do not want or need. I made my mom and siblings get the flu vaccine too Growing up, I never had a flu shot and I also never had the flu. But as a young adult thinking about starting a family, I listened to my doctor. I was told getting a flu shot was not only good for me and my family, it was essential. Life-sav

Natural Alternatives to Tylenol: What to Give Your Kids, What to Take Yourself

Natural Alternatives to Tylenol: What to Give Your Kids, What to Take Yourself We almost crashed our server this summer with our blog about why no doctor should ever recommend acetaminophen or prescribe a Tylenol-containing pain reliever again (colleagues, are you listening? FDA, how ’bout you?). Since then, I’ve fielded hundreds of inquiries from families—especially worried parents—asking WHAT to use instead of Tylenol? Dr. Benton, what do I do for a fever? Dr. Benton, what do I do for a headache? What about for aches and pains? What about for migraines ? Glad you asked. There are safe, effective, natural alternatives to Tylenol that will get your pain in check. How to Treat a Fever Without Tylenol Fever is actually a positive sign that your immune system is paying attention and fighting disease. Fever is one of our body’s natural defenses against infection. Having a fever forces us to stay in bed—which gives our bodies time to heal. Sever

Why No Doctor Should Ever Recommend Tylenol Again

Last week we were talking about toxins to avoid when you’re trying to conceive . This week we’ve got another toxin on the docket. The toxin is acetaminophen, the main ingredient in Tylenol (known as paracetamol in Europe). No doctor should ever recommend Tylenol again. Not to pregnant women. Not to newborns. Not to small children. “But my doctor says Tylenol is safe.” I am a doctor myself and a nice southern girl. I don’t like to criticize other doctors but I’ll be honest with you: your doctor does not know what he does not know. Tylenol has not been shown to be safe for children. If your doctor would spend just half an hour reviewing the peer-reviewed medical literature about Tylenol, your doctor will realize it has not been proven safe. Acetaminophen may very well be a main trigger for certain childhood neurological disorders, including autism, as well as childhood asthma . Just ask a team of research scientists and medical doctors from Duke and Harvard Universities whose