Skip to main content

Shingles. Yikes! Who needs Valtrex?

Shingles is the terrifying disease of the older folks due to pain.  It is the talk of any group of elderly folks at the local Hardees.  They do have a shingles shot but since I have had two patients hospitalized due to complications of the vaccine and several more with shingles after the vaccine, I have shied away from that and just stuck with acute treatment with Valtrex and/or steroids.  Anything to prevent that painful syndrome called Postherpetic neuralgia right?  I have had patients suffer for years from pain in spite of that treatment though.  Wasn't there anything better? Just FYI, not everyone gets pain with the shingles.  Sometimes it just itches.

While under a lot of stress a year ago, I was at work and felt a weird pressure at the crown of my head like I had my pony tail too tight but I didn't have a pony tail.  Next thing I know I have a burning, icy cold, searing pain moving down the right side of the top of my head.  I had shingles!!  The painful kind!  I was only 41 for pete's sake.  It was noon at work and no access to medicines.  I called my handy dandy naturopath Dr Swanz who recommended a vitamin regimen.  

I decided much to the dismay of my friends and colleagues to go natural.  So I picked up my remedies at 5 and got them going.  I felt it diminish but my doctor friends really were worried because that particular location puts you at risk for infection of the cornea.  Due to the pressure, I agreed to Valtrex and picked up a late night prescription and took one dose that night and one the next morning at which time my symptoms were 90% gone.  I went to the ophthalmologist who said my cornea was OK.  I discontinued the Valtrex and finished up my vitamins with complete resolution of symptoms that day.  

I was a little disappointed I caved because I really wanted to experiment on myself and do it totally natural.  I had my opportunity when we went on a family vacation during spring break on a cruise.  I got a sunburn in the part of my hair which reactivated my shingles on my scalp.  Lucky me had all the remedies.  Within three hours of that stinging, icy cold, burning pain, my symptoms completely resolved.  I took them another three days to be sure it was gone but yay!!  Thanks Dr. Swanz.  

Since then, I have been offering this to patients in addition to the Valtrex ( I always offer both traditional and western medicine options).  Many have opted to do the natural treatment only and they had very quick resolution like me, even in the older patients.  Thrilled to have another option since I haven't always had luck with Valtrex.  Sometimes, nothing helped in the past.  This year, no failures yet!

I may have tweaked it a little from what Dr. Swanz recommended but this is my regimen I used.

Vitamin C 1000 mg 4-5 times per day
Vitamin D 20,000-100,000 IU daily for about a week -for adults I use the 100,000 IU
Vitamin A 15000 IU 1-2 times per day for 2-3 days
L Lysine 1-2 capsules 4-5 times per day.  

For the pain, I recommend you buy a "nerve care" type combo supplement that comes with Acetyl- L carnitine and Alpha lipoic acid.  It works wonders for the pain.  Another homeopathic remedy for nerve pain is Hypericum and for that you will get the 30 c from the health food store and take 3 pellets every few hours as needed for pain.  Homeopathic arnica can help too for pain.  Here is a site that lists various helpful homeopathic remedies for shingles and which ever fits your presentation, you can alternate with the hypericum.   https://www.homeopathycenter.org/shingles

As with anything, I do not replace your doctor.  Just know there is a risk that if you have shingles on the tip of your nose, forehead, or top of head, that you can have infection in the cornea of your eye and you need to see an eye doctor.


Comments

  1. Interesting. I wish I'd had the vitamin recipe to try back in May when I contracted a doozy of a case of shingles in my trunk area on the left side. As it turned out all the various options I could find in Google searches had only the most minor effect. For relief from the discomfort applying Listerine had as good a result as anything. I got into the doctor's office too far along to get a prescription and just had to tough it out. In the end I had enough neuralgic effects to warrant trying a course of gabapentin. I wound up taking that for only about a week and a half, and was never sure it made much difference.

    My hope is that I never have it again. That desire was sufficient motivation to go ahead and get the vaccination just in case it might provide a little protection. Definitely not fun. Sorry to hear you have had to endure its effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely an experience and since mine lasted such a short time, it was less traumatic but I cannot imagine having to live with that weeks to even years! I also didn't have the rash. This vitamin trick has worked for the patients with just the rash as well as the neuropathic symptoms.

      Delete
  2. Since this regimen worked for neuralgic pain from shingles, would you think it would would for other neuralgic pain from diabetes or SCI?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No but sometimes alpha lipoic acid and L carnitine can help for neuropathy. Also I have learned that metformin can cause vitamin B12 deficiency so take a B complex.

      Delete
  3. Since the flu season is quickly approaching, maybe you could give us a reminder of the oils and vitamins we should start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since the flu season is quickly approaching, maybe you could give us a reminder of the oils and vitamins we should start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the kids go to bed, I will try to come up with my list and post it. 8-)

      Delete
  5. Since this regimen worked for neuralgic pain from shingles, would you think it would would for other neuralgic pain from diabetes or SCI?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great information. One question, if it has been two plus years, would this method still help? Still crippling pain, best days are wearing a hat constantly, pressure on the area. Same location of shingles across head and stopped just at the bridge of nose and down into eyebrow. Not on the same neuro path as the cornea.
    Thanks for your help. G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI! I am so sorry I just saw this. I am still figuring out Gmail. You know that I haven't tried it on anyone who has had it that long. It certainly can't hurt although I wouldn't do high doses of vitamin A for more than 3-5 days. An adult can do 25,000 IU 3-4 times per day for a few days. Since you have developed a neuropathy, other things to consider are alpha lipoic acid and acetylcarnitine as well. I have had luck with diabetic neuropathy. I am really sorry you have suffered so. I am hoping this natural method may prevent some of these cases. I had a patient who was 101 who had suffered for 2-3 years with it. I wish I knew this trick back then!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why This Doctor Doesn't Get Her Flu Shot!

Why Smart Doctors Don’t Get Flu Shots Smart doctors don’t get flu shots. Smart patients don’t either. Does that mean you’re not smart if you got a flu shot? No. It means the pharmaceutical industry has you and your wallet right where they want you. It means you believed the hype instead of looking at the science. Smart doctors don’t get flu shots. But I’m a doctor and not only did I get them, I insisted my mom and my siblings get their flu shot too. Once you hear my story, you will see that I can’t judge anyone who gets a flu vaccine. But I do judge an industry that tries to terrify and deceive people into getting a flu vaccine they do not want or need. I made my mom and siblings get the flu vaccine too Growing up, I never had a flu shot and I also never had the flu. But as a young adult thinking about starting a family, I listened to my doctor. I was told getting a flu shot was not only good for me and my family, it was essential. Life-sav

Natural Alternatives to Tylenol: What to Give Your Kids, What to Take Yourself

Natural Alternatives to Tylenol: What to Give Your Kids, What to Take Yourself We almost crashed our server this summer with our blog about why no doctor should ever recommend acetaminophen or prescribe a Tylenol-containing pain reliever again (colleagues, are you listening? FDA, how ’bout you?). Since then, I’ve fielded hundreds of inquiries from families—especially worried parents—asking WHAT to use instead of Tylenol? Dr. Benton, what do I do for a fever? Dr. Benton, what do I do for a headache? What about for aches and pains? What about for migraines ? Glad you asked. There are safe, effective, natural alternatives to Tylenol that will get your pain in check. How to Treat a Fever Without Tylenol Fever is actually a positive sign that your immune system is paying attention and fighting disease. Fever is one of our body’s natural defenses against infection. Having a fever forces us to stay in bed—which gives our bodies time to heal. Sever

Why No Doctor Should Ever Recommend Tylenol Again

Last week we were talking about toxins to avoid when you’re trying to conceive . This week we’ve got another toxin on the docket. The toxin is acetaminophen, the main ingredient in Tylenol (known as paracetamol in Europe). No doctor should ever recommend Tylenol again. Not to pregnant women. Not to newborns. Not to small children. “But my doctor says Tylenol is safe.” I am a doctor myself and a nice southern girl. I don’t like to criticize other doctors but I’ll be honest with you: your doctor does not know what he does not know. Tylenol has not been shown to be safe for children. If your doctor would spend just half an hour reviewing the peer-reviewed medical literature about Tylenol, your doctor will realize it has not been proven safe. Acetaminophen may very well be a main trigger for certain childhood neurological disorders, including autism, as well as childhood asthma . Just ask a team of research scientists and medical doctors from Duke and Harvard Universities whose